Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Violet is 3 today

This morning around 5:30 am I heard Violet opening our bedroom door. She had her arms full of "all her stuff" - her special blankets, the yellow pillow, baby, and peanut baby. "Mom, I wanna sleep with you." she said "I have all my stuff." I whispered "Let's go potty first, then you can climb into bed with me for a little bit." She said ok, dropped all her stuff, and went potty quick. She climbed into bed between us for a little bit. I told her she really had to go back to sleep if she was going to stay in bed with us, but she never did. She wiggled around, flip flopped from side to side, and experimented with different cuddling positions. First she pressed her body against mine back to back, then she flipped over and tried resting one leg on my body. Silly girl. After a few minutes I whispered to her "Violet. You're not sleeping, so you need to go back to your own bed." She seemed to be OK with it. I carried her to her bed and laid with her for a few minutes, and she was out. I had a hard time getting back to sleep after that - I ended up tossing and turning for the next hour and a half until Dave's phone alarm went off. Calvin actually woke up before her for once. We sang happy birthday to her in the morning when she got up and gave her oatmeal like usual, but I sprinkled chocolate chips in it. She seemed to think that was really fun. She immediately said she wanted to open her presents, but somehow I distracted her. I had to take her to the doc for her well check up at 9:45 am. I got the kids fed, dressed, and out the door by 9:20 am. She wore her cream colored zip up sweater that Rachel gave her for Christmas with the fuzzy hoodie. She said "I can wear my fuzzy hoody like Molly!" because that day we opened presents with my family, Molly was with us and had a similar sweater on with a fuzzy hoodie. When I called yesterday to get her an appointment, I wasn't expecting to get in until next week or the week after because their office is always busy. The receptionist seemed surprised when she noticed an opening today. Violet did excellent at the doctor. She got to stand on the big scale and get weighed. I asked if I could put Calvin on the baby scale while I was there, he was 25 lbs. She is 34 lbs and is 38" tall. They had her stand in one spot and did a little eye exam by asking her what shapes were on a piece of paper up on a wall far away. She got every one of them right! A circle, a cup, a heart, a little hand. The nurse took her blood pressure (86/58) and then I got her changed into the little hospital gown thing. She looked so cute. It reminded me of when she was in the hospital gown at Allen Hospital being treated for pneumonia. The doctor checked her ears, mouth, teeth, nose, tummy, back, feet, reflexes, leg and arm strength, and asked her all sorts of questions like "Are you a boy or a girl? What is your name? How old are you?" and she had no trouble answering the questions. When the doc was all done, she got dressed again and then said "I want her to check to see if I'm ok again! That was fun!" So all in all, it was a good visit. Calvin was in the stroller munching on cheerios the whole time - of course - also throwing them everywhere. Cleaning up crushed dusty cheerios is not fun!

2 comments:

  1. This is too eerily like my day yesterday... doctor, cheerios and all! Happy Birthday, Violet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heart warming report!!!

    DAD

    ReplyDelete