Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

The last couple days were spent at my mom and dad's house in Mason City. We got there Thanksgiving day around noon and my mom had the meal ready by 1:30. She served a big ol' juicy and delicious turkey, a sweet potato dish, a rice stuffing, dinner rolls, and frozen slice of fruit salad, and a pecan pie with sweetened whipped topping. I'm hungry just thinking about it! That evening we spent just hanging around, sang a few songs on the piano with Rachel and I attempting horribly to sight read on the piano. Jay and Molly joined us late in the evening. We played a game of Apples to Apples and got to bed late. Violet really enjoyed seeing everybody. She was running all over the place like a crazy monkey with all the attention. She slept on a cot in the same room with Rachel. I guess she woke up really early. The next day mom had a yummy cheesy egg casserole with toasted bagels and clementine oranges. We walked around the mall to pass time while we waited for the museum at the Meredith Wilson Square to open up at 1 pm. The mall was crazy busy - and Violet was a tired mess. At one point, she was rubbing her eyes so hard. Dave picked her up and said "Aw, Violet, your eyes are so red!" She said through tears "No, my eyes are blue!" We got back home and were all really hungry - we had yummy pear and walnut salads and southwestern turkey soup for a late lunch. We left Mason City around 5 pm. Jay and Molly came over to our house to hang out a little longer, so we picked up a couple of Papa Murphy's pizzas. On our car ride home, Violet kept asking where we were going. When we pulled up to our house and opened the garage, she started crying because she realized we weren't at Grandma's house anymore. She cried and cried, asking for grandma and grandpa and then her pink blanket. She eventually got over that when she realized we were going to have pizza for supper. She really lights up and just loves having family around. I know she gets bored with "just mom" all the time. She conned Jay into playing hide and seek over and over and over - and asked him to help her stack blocks. They made a tower taller than she was! I am really tired just sitting here. Rachel just left for Lincoln, NE. She should have about a 6 hour drive. We had pumpkin muffins for breakfast and grilled cheese and apple slices for lunch. I could easily lay down and take a nap. The kids are supposed to be sleeping right now. I think Violet is sleeping, but Calvin keeps letting out occasional yells and coos. *sigh* He just said "nah nah!!" as I typed that last sentence. I wish he would sleep because I don't have the energy to deal with him right now. Dave has been outside all morning, sucking up leaves with the leaf destroyer, he sprayed off the front porch because the pumpkins that went bad leaked pumpkin juice everywhere (yuck), he put out the Christmas wreath that everybody else on Briarwood Drive puts out after Thanksgiving. The street is very pretty at night with each house's wreath lit up.

1 comment:

  1. I did enjoy reading your narrative.
    One silly thing we did was to face paint myself and wash it off with Mary Kay face scrub and replenisher.
    I put the finished product on my facebook.
    Much Love

    DAD

    ReplyDelete