Sunday, July 04, 2010

Violet sang at BBC today

In honor of the 4th of July, Violet got the opportunity to sing at church this morning. Mark Wooderson asked if she could sing the Star Spangled Banner to kick off some of the songs, so we agreed to it. He knew she could sing that song a couple months ago when she sang it for him at our house during small group. She learned and memorized the song this past winter ago after she heard Dave sing it in the house with his friend Shawn Thompson ~ they were just being goofy and she really liked it, so she determined to learn it. A few weeks later, she had all the words and the tune down. She has listened to it a lot on her kid music CDs over the last few months too. We practiced with her four times before the actual event so she felt comfortable up on stage singing in the big room with a microphone. Wednesday she ran through it twice. She insisted I go up there with her so I was OK with that, as long as she did the singing, not me. She got a little nervous on Sunday when I went up there with her, but I started off with the first note, and she picked it right up. Gerald Anderson was kind enough to video tape for us so I have a clip to share. :) I didn't really realize she was doing this until I watched the video, but she is constantly playing with my red shirt as she sang. Many people came up to her to compliment her on her singing, and she pretty much ignored them or responded with a little smile. She didn't even know how to handle the praise. When we got home, she said "Whew!! I'm glad THAT'S over! I am never doing that again!" I'm sure she said that just to get a reaction out of her parents (just like her daddy does all the time!). But I could tell she was happy and proud of herself, because she asked me if her song was pretty and I told her it was beautiful, she did a great job, and was very brave.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what she is actually thinks the words mean? Ramparts?
    Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just tooooooo sweeet!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete