Monday, June 01, 2009

Splash!

This morning Violet, Calvin and I took our customary walk in the morning. We take walks a lot, since she loves riding her trike long distances. Calvin is pretty good in the stroller, too, which is nice. He loves taking in his surroundings, and gets especially excited when we run across a dog. He always says "hi dah!" for "hi dog!" and waves. Violet has learned how to go up and down a large hill that leads from our neighborhood to Greenhill Road and connects to the trail system. She loves the challenge making it to the top, and has overcome her fear of going down by slowly controlling the pedals so she goes down slowly, not fast. I think if she let go with her feet and went full speed she would freak out. Anyway, we went up the hill and continued west on Greenhill Road for a long time. V noticed a large water feature across the street in front of a few businesses (right by Lockard Realty). I thought about it for a little while and then decided it would be ok. I made her leave her trike on the grass by the trail and hop in the double stroller so I could get the two of them across the road safely. We got to the little water pond and I took note that it was really shallow, maybe a foot or so deep. We sat by the edge and dangled our feet in the exceptionally cold water. She loved to splash her feet. Well, one second more of feet splashing turned into V jumping right in the water. I don't really know how it happened or what made her do that. I was already clutching Calvin close to me with one arm and with my other, grabbed V's arm to help her out. The water was up to her tummy. She was shocked by the cold water and started crying. She kept yelling "I'm wet! I'm wet!" But I had no choice but to wring her off as best I could and stick her back in the stroller and make her ride her trike back home sopping wet. She seemed to get over the initial shock and made it back home alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment