Saturday, May 02, 2009

I forgot to mention

That last week was Dave's 33rd birthday on April 22nd. He was traveling out of state, so he couldn't be with us, but I told Violet that it was daddy's birthday, and she made sure to sing him the happy birthday song a few times through out the day. I remember (sort of) my dad's 32nd, or 33rd, or 34th birthday party. He had a cake, blew out the candles, and the rest is history. I was around 4 or 5 years old, so those memories are pretty flighty and not very connected. Mom put a big 32 (or whatever year it was) on the cake. I doubt Violet will remember this year's birthday for Dave, as she's just nearing 3 1/2. I made Dave a birthday cake today (yeah, we're celebrating a week and a half late!) that neither of us will forget, it was so fun. I found instructions online for making this crazy rainbow cake making white cake and dividing up the batter into 6 separate bowls, and dying each one a different color of the rainbow, and plopping the batter in the pan one color on top of another. So I tried it...and I'm stick in a pic on the post just because we had so much fun seeing what the final product was. Violet Oohed and Aaahed as the cakes came out of the oven. She said "Mommmy made you a colorful cake, daddy!" It came out of the oven past her bedtime, so she didn't have time to have any tonight...I'm sure the first words out of her mouth in the morning are going to be asking for a piece of it. Most of the morning and afternoon was spent searching for another vehicle. Two reasons we want to get a second vehicle: 1) Its a pain just having one, and 2) We don't have anything to tow the boat with (I asked Dave if our old Honda Odyssey could tow it, apparently not, its a wimpy van, lol). The boat is a permanent fixture in the garage until we can move it, or even use it for boating this summer. We didn't buy anything, but we searched a few dealers and are getting a better idea of which we are considering. Violet also got a new summer toy to play with, and she's CRAZY about it. She begs me to go outside and play with it all the time now, which is a good thing. She got a trike with three rubber wheels, its from Scheels, called the Trek Trikester. I am not sure I spelled that right. The seat is pushed as far forward as it can go, and her feet barely, and I mean BARELY touch the wheels. The seat goes back 5 more notches, so she'll get tons and tons of use out of it. One day this past week we took a walk...she rode her trike down the sidewalk and I pushed Calvin in the stroller. She goes ahead of me, and we went probably a mile. Up and down hills. But the time we got back from that walk she was exhausted. Another favorite thing for her to do is go with me to the Orchard Hill Church parking lot north of the building and use the big, open space to ride it as fast as she can. Usually when we go, the lot is completely empty, or has just a couple cars in it. Its just a couple blocks one direction and a couple blocks another direction, so it takes just minutes to get to. It gets her some good exercise too!! We got a good deal on buying two trikes at the same time, so she has a pink one, and Calvin has a blue one, but he won't be able to ride it for about 2 more years. Yeah, its a long time to wait, but we figure its good to have a spare if Violet has a friend over or something, they can both use them outside. Her cousin Austin would have a blast on the blue one - Josh and Carrie are coming to visit for Memorial Day weekend so we'll see how he takes to it then. So now for pics. And yes, I put pink sprinkles on my husband's birthday cake.

1 comment: