Friday, December 19, 2008

Its going to be a white Christmas!

We got so much snow last night! Dave opened the up the garage door and we just saw a solid block wall of snow about 2 feet up. No, the snow wasn't 2 feet deep, but the drift was. Cedar Falls schools were cancelled, so fitness class was a no go. I'm not sure I would have gone anyway, the kids woke up at 8:15. I spent an hour shoveling during the kids' naptime, but I only got 1/4 of the whole driveway done. It feels like a never-ending task. I ended up just shoveling little strips for the van's tires down the whole length of the driveway. Little did I realize until we got back outside later, that an anonymous neighbor used their snowblower on our driveway and helped us get about 3/4 of the rest of the snow left on it off for us. We were so thankful for whoever was generous enough to help us. After getting the kids to bed, we shoveled off the last remaining portion. What an effort! Dave tried starting the snow blower, but as soon as he got into the engine and drained the pipes, flood water and oil started pouring out of it. So...that's still a work in progress. We went to a little pre-holiday party at the Smith's house tonight. Everybody contributed to the meal who came. Dave and Dana brought pork loins which "the men" all grilled outside, Brook and Kris brought mashed potatoes, Trisha made a corn and mac and cheese dish, I brought a salad, and there was more food, I just can't remember what else. Pies and brownies galore for dessert. Good thing I did a lot of shoveling to burn off some of those calories, lol. Violet had a BLAST over there. She was running around happily playing the whole time, losing her pink blanket all over the place, then freaking out that she couldn't find it, then finding it, and then losing it again. Calvin was walking (well, aimlessly toddling) all over the place too but there was an open stair well so we all had to keep a close watch on him. Brook gave him his first bites of real dessert food: french silk pie. He was eating it with so much vigor! He would take a bite, and his eyes would light up and he would make repeating "Mmm!! Uhhh! Nahh!!" noises indicating he wanted more. After the rich bites of chocolate he had lots of milk to wash it down. I only nursed him 2 times today...getting down there. I'm not sure I'm ready to give it up yet, but he seems ready. We got the picture from Hobby Lobby back all framed and pretty. Dave hung it up above the fireplace last night. It looks great! We also replaced all the lighting (except for the big chandelier for the foyer, the one we picked out is too expensive for now!) above the kitchen island, dining room, and kitchen table area. They look sooo much better. The bathroom vanity/sink is also in place, but not installed. Everything seems to be coming together nicely! I can't believe everybody will be here on Wednesday!! I got the kids' pack and plays set up in our closets today, and I blew up the air mattress for Dave's brother and his wife and stuck it in the basement bedroom (Dave's office) and put sheets on it. I blew it up early so I would know if it leaked or not, so I could fix it. I don't have a lot of confidence it'll stay blown up.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing. One snow story is that my Mercy Employees Credit Union - their snow plow guy piles the snow up against my building and covered my view- I am not certain whether this snow pile is providing some insulation from the cold, or damaging the new paint!
    Either way, the window probably should not be getting snow pressure on it. I un dug it myself.
    Nasty out tonight!

    Love DAD

    ReplyDelete