Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Went on a farm tour this morning

I took the kids (well, Violet could appreciate it) to a local dairy farm (Hansen's Dairy) in Hudson this morning at 9:30. It was pretty chilly, but we bundled up. Violet was really excited to see the cows before we got there. The lady who owns the place with her husband was our tour guide. I pushed Calvin in a stroller, and Violet walked with me. We went with a few other moms that I know from MOPS. There were only 4 of us moms, but lots of little kids trailing behind. They showed us the equipment that processes the milk, where the cream goes, the machine that makes the cheese curds, and then we toured the whole farm. They had a whole row of pregnant cows, a field where the cows who are about to be impregnated, a barn with newborn cows, cows who weren't old enough yet, and those who were too old. It was crazy how many different buildings there were for the different ages of cows. There was also a cage full of wallabies!! I didn't even know what they were. I knew they looked like mini kangaroos. The lady gave all the kids little pieces of carrots and let the kids feed the wallabies. They were nice. Violet was scared at first, but after she felt more comfortable and watched others feed them, she got brave and walked right up to one and held out her hand. She giggled and said "It took the carrot from me!" We sampled some ice cream the dairy made and then left. They were pretty tired by the time we were done, but my morning hadn't ended yet. I had to run out to Sam's Club and pick up an order I made online - stuff for the concession stand (pop, bottled water, hot dogs, buns, etc). V was confused why we didn't get a shopping cart and walk around. Both were hungry, so they split a pretzel on the way home and had banana before naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment