Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Moved the crib out of Vanessa's room into the guest room for Eli

Yesterday was the first moment I had to myself for a little less than 2 hours while I tackled moving the crib from one room to another.  I really wanted to just sit down for awhile and have some coffee and read a book.  But I didn't.  Moving the crib was something that really needed to get done.  Mostly for Eli's comfort while sleeping at night, the pack and play probably wasn't cutting it anymore.  He's a heavy boy and the crib mattress is so much bigger and cozier.  Vanessa is consistently doing well in her big bed too.
This meant disassembling it (partially) to get it through doorways.  Violet and Calvin finally had school at the same time.  Eli took his morning nap in the pack and play in my room, and Vanessa was tuned into Dora the Explorer snuggled under her Dora blanket.  I dug out the allen wrenches from the garage and took off all the girly bedding and got out the "boy" bedding.  This consists of a little car/truck themed crib bumper and matching sheets.  I took apart the crib enough to get it through the doorway of Vanessa's current room and into the guest room corner.  I reassembled it...hopefully the same way it was put back together.  It felt sturdy.  I tackled some random tasks while putting the crib back together too.  The wire mesh under the mattress had one part where it was missing a metal ring that held the mesh together in one place to provide support for the mattress.  Even though Vanessa slept on it with out that metal ring for a long time and probably didn't notice, I felt like the picky one wanting that hole "closed".  I grabbed a plastic zip tie from Dave's electronic "stuff" in the garage and zip tied the hole together.  The crib bumper was also missing a few fabric ties to hold it firmly in place while in the crib, so I took it down to the basement and used fabric scraps in the same length/shape of the existing ties and sewed on some of my own homemade ties to make it fit better.  I just used blue flannel scraps.  It worked like a charm.  The bedding went on the bed and looked pretty good.  The guest bedroom furniture was arranged in such a way that I couldn't slide in the drawer underneath the crib but that didn't matter much.  This crib was given to us from Josh and Carrie about a year or so ago, it went through their 3 kids and the drawer isn't in the best shape.
The guest bedroom is now the "baby" room.  If people stay with us I bring the pack and play and put it in our room.  The guest bedroom is still what I would consider a disaster.  The bed is comfy, but that's about it.  We would love to "decorate" it ~ which in my mind, is re-painting it a more pleasing color than the light green on the walls and putting up some nice-looking window coverings that block the light in place of the very thrown-together-look which consists of dark blankets and sheets tacked over the windows.   Oh well...in time.  We still need to paint our bedroom.

So I'm glad the crib project is done.  Eli slept really great last night. I got up to feed him at 6 am and put him back in bed, and its 9:44 am and he's still sleeping peacefully.  I think he likes it!



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I re read this tonight and it was an excellent job done! Love my bed too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids First...way to go Maria!
    You will get to the guest decor and yes you should do your room first...all in good time...kids needs first that's OK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job MJ! I thought your attention to detail on the crib was endearing and showed tremendous care and love for Eli.

    ReplyDelete