Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A rare quiet moment today on a "snow day" - aka: school cancelled


After a busy morning of pancakes, books, playdoh, the kids playing an interesting game of horsie (I have heard my quota of squeaky child-produced "neighing" for the day), watching some old Mister Rogers "how things are made" videos, snow ice cream cones, the day for me has come to a nice calm halt.  For how long, I do not know.  Vanessa and Eli are taking naps at the same time as I type.  Violet and Calvin decided to venture outside in the plentiful amounts of snow and have been occupied for hours!!  I must say...I thought this day would never come.  Having children old enough to put on their own snow gear (ok, ok, they still need help sometimes) ~ and go out in the snow on their own and play with out needing an adult to accompany them ~ is really wonderful.  I love watching them play in the snow.  They're so imaginative.
I can actually hear myself type and the ticking of the clock in the other room.  Very weird.  I'm watching the snow falling (we're up to about 7 or 8 inches) and I'm wondering what to do with myself.  I brought three huge baskets full of laundry downstairs, sorted them into three piles of whites, colors, and darks.  White load is in.  Maybe I should get supper started?

eta: Calvin and Violet were done with the snow about 3 hours into their play.  They played "Where's My Water" on my kindle for awhile.  Vanessa woke up and wanted to color.  Eli slept a long time, almost 4pm.  Violet asked me if she could work with dough so (and my long quiet break today must have inspired me) I decided to make some white bread from scratch.  I used my kitchenaid mixer to form the dough and I let Violet knead it.  We watched it rise once, punch it down, rise twice, and its currently baking in the oven.  Should be delicious with the chicken and rice soup I made for supper.  It smells yummy in my house!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT brings on a smile like no other.
    Thank God for these nice moments.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - I like the snowflakes on your blog...perfect for the day!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete