Thursday, May 19, 2011

My first "real" sewing project - Violet's twirler dress

So I found this pattern online a long time ago, thinking it was super adorable and thought it looked relatively easy to make.  http://www.etsy.com/listing/74169959/tiered-patchwork-twirler-epattern-for

I ordered it, and the pattern sat on my desk for awhile.  Then we had a month of unexpected travel after Dave's grandma died, so I put the project off.  When we got home, I made a trip to the fabric store for some inspiration.  I knew Violet liked butterflies, pink, sparkly, purple, cupcakes, etc...so I found 8 fabrics that seemed to go together, and bought them.  I came home with:

1. bright pink with silver sparkles
2. multicolored stripes
3. cupcakes
4. butterflies (abstract, on white)
5. more butterflies (dark purple background)
6. more butterflies (smaller, on white)
7. purple flower
8. purple dots

The project was quite a bit more complicated than I expected...but I'm glad I pushed myself to finish it.  It turned out so cute!   It took me about 5 days, quite a few hours after kid's bedtime, and the kitchen was probably messier because of it.  :)  Violet anticipated my adding each layer and is now twirling in the house with it on.


twirling, of course. :)


1 comment:

  1. Love it! Way to go Maria what fun to pick out patterns and put it all together!!
    Here's a little poem to Violet:
    Go around
    on your heal
    take a spin
    like a wheel
    on it's side
    colors ride
    around your middle!
    Can we doe-see-doe?
    Do you have a fiddle?
    Can I dance with you
    in a twirly dress?
    Well in my mind
    I say yes...
    I remember when
    I'd spin and twirl,
    it's what girls do
    when they're dressed like you!
    And your mom did too!

    ReplyDelete