Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Maria - Fall 2013

I feel strange updating things about ME.  I start typing and come up blank, wondering what to write about. I've enjoyed recently the reality that our family is complete and since Eli stopped breastfeeding, I feel like "a free woman"...and really peaceful that I won't have to deal with the stress of having another baby.
I'm imagining all the things we can do as a family that won't be restricted by having a frequently napping/nursing baby...it's all I've known for the last 8 years. 

Life is probably just as busy, but in a different way.  I am constantly feeding people, cleaning up, doing laundry, sweeping the floor, and engaged mentally with everything that the kids need all the time and thinking of what things they can do to keep busy.  What clothes do they need for the next season? What fits, what doesn't?  Organizing their clothes is a full time job, putting away and organizing things that don't fit that I'll keep for a younger child, or what I want to sell or give to a younger cousin. 

This season of life:
-I like to run errands when Vanessa is in preschool on Tues/Thurs AMs, this way I am taking just Eli with me to the store. 
-I go to women's Bible study twice a month on Thursdays - we're reading a book called "Being A Great Mom Raising Great Kids" which I'm pulling things from to help me.
- Our small group is starting a book by Henry and Melvin Blackaby called Experiencing the Spirit.  I am very excited to learn more about this.
- have had some dental work done recently, I got a crown (forever a princess!) put on my upper right molar and have two new inlay fillings to be put in in January 2014.  Its nice to see my dad and his office staff working so well.
- I'm working on improving my wardrobe.  I pulled 90% of the contents of my closet out and got rid of them.  Stuff that was visibly worn out, didn't fit, or was way out of style.  The tired-looking workhorse nursing bras in the garbage, maternity clothes out.  That left me with 4 long sleeved shirts and a pile of sweatshirts for winter.  So I've done a little shopping here and there when the budget allows me to and buy some new things for winter.  I have found this process to be exhausting.  I can't easily just go shopping.  Shopping online is convenient but I hate shipping back and exchanging things.  I need basics.  Like cami tanks, plain tops, and my undergarments need an upgrade.  Its fun to buy new things but the process of shopping, finding them, and trying them all on is hard for me.  I have to figure out "my style"...what I feel most comfortable in.
- The time from 3:30-bedtime is super busy.  I get the kids and bring them home from school.  Violet usually has homework which is reading, studying spelling words, and practicing her memory verse.  She also needs to practice piano for 20-25 minutes.  Calvin sometimes has homework too.  Getting backpacks in, folders opened, papers out and reorganized takes me a long time.  Vanessa is excited to see her siblings but also is tired by this time of day and can be a pill.  Then I make supper, we eat, someone cleans up dinner and the other goes upstairs to help get kids to bed.  We start the bedtime process by 7pm because it takes an hour, even longer if there is a bath involved.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment