Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Violet's writing

Violet is beginning to form sentences (not just words) when she writes.  Its still terrible and most things are spelled wrong, but she is learning!  In her mind, there's no way it could be wrong because she phonetically spells things out very well. 

A few of her first attempts:


In red marker, she intended to write:   "We are going to a friend's house."


"Mrs. Knapp, nap, bed, bucket, alligator"


And my personal favorite, "No one likes skunks."





2 comments:

  1. Dear Maria,
    I would use a different description besides "terrible" and "wrong" because one has to start somewhere...when we're in the process of learning we have to make a ton of mistakes anyway. I know you are proud of her, and I agree it's amazing she's already putting words together! That is wonderful and I'm sure your reading the words in many story books to the kids greatly encourages such ability.
    I never thought of spelling skunks with an X but it sure sounds like an X - that is funny!
    Love,
    Grandma Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!! I am dying here. They are SO funny and cute! and I think they would make an excellent solve-the-puzzle type of game. I actually tried very hard to read what she wrote before reading your caption. I didn't get any of them right, but i had a lot of fun guessing (and I also didn't try to hard cuz I was anxious to read what it was!) the best one was "we are going to a friends house" she did good! It's cool she is putting the phonetics together with the letters and producing the symbols fairly accurately on paper. I think that is awesome. thanks for sharing the pics!

    ReplyDelete