Friday, February 19, 2010

Doctor check ups

I got the kids in for their 4 and 2 yr check ups this morning. They had a great time there, both were happy and nice to the nurses and doctors. Calvin enthusiastically greeted each person who walked in our little room with a big "hi!". I scheduled them both at 9 am together so I wouldn't have to make two trips with each of them separately. Since their birthdays are with in a few weeks of each other, it worked well. Violet is almost 41" tall, they weighed her in at 40 lbs, but every time she steps on the scale in our bathroom it reads 38.5, so either way, not much difference. She had clothes and a full belly of oatmeal, that could have made a difference. :) So 4 was her number today. 4 yrs old, 40 lbs, and 41" tall. Calvin weighed in at an ounce shy of 30 lbs and 36" tall. His head measured 20" around which put him in the 90% percentile for his head, not surprising to me. :) Violet got to put on a little hospital exam robe. She was examined first, and answered every question correctly, the doctor asked her her full name and she could say "Violet LaMarche" clearly, showed her four fingers for her age, talked the doctor's ear off about preschool and the sparkly pet rock she painted named "Sally Pet" the day before, and was very cooperative when the doctor checked her whole body, head to toe. Blood pressure was 96/56, and she passed her vision screening. She was most excited about her knee reflexes, watching her foot bounce up when her knee was bonked with the goofy looking tool. When the doctor left she bounced off the exam table, picked up the knee tool and then proceeded to bonk her own, mine and Calvin's knees to get the same reaction. She wasn't exactly successful, but she got a kick out of it. The doctor then checked out Calvin, and he looks perfectly healthy. She noted that he was very tall for his age and was glad to hear him speaking more words in the time she was in the room with us. He said "here's more woof woof!" when he found a Clifford the Big Red Dog book, although it came out sounding more like 'Hee mo woo woo". Violet knew that they were "done" with the check ups but she asked when she was going to get her shots. She knew she was going to get three booster shots (MMR, chicken pox, and DTaP) and was SO brave, I was so proud of her. She laid down on the table, I hugged her arms, and two nurses did the three injections in quick time. I could see her face grimace but she smiled when it was all over. I gave her a big hug and she knew she had done well. She was pretty excited about her Dora bandaids and I had told her she could have a sucker when she was done. So that is the last of her vaccinations for many, many years. :) I am glad I brought the double stroller with me so Calvin was strapped in. He got a little sucker too, he would have freaked out of Violet had one and he didn't. Plus, they both did well. And yes, I brushed their teeth very well after lunch today. I told the doc I'd see her back in June with a new baby. I made a stop out at Sam's club on my way home to pick up some things, then we had an early lunch. She got to tell daddy she did a good job and was very brave. Everybody was hungry and by the time lunch was over, Violet was VERY tired. She was acting really whiny and helpless saying her legs really hurt and she couldn't even walk up the steps, so brushing her teeth and getting her to go potty before her nap was a big struggle, but once I laid her in bed, she was practically sleeping. No fight, no asking for songs or books, she really wanted to snuggle in and go to sleep. Calvin went down easy too. They have been sleeping since 12:45, I hope they both feel rested when they wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment