Saturday, September 22, 2012

Flash visit from Rachel

Rachel made a quick appearance for one night at our house before going to an alumni get together at the U of I this weekend.  She looked at properties with Lockard Realty and spoke with two bankers about financing for her long term plans.

She got some kid time too.  Her visit was very well timed since Dave took a trip to Denver, Colorado for two days (Tues thru Thurs) and she was able to help me a lot.  She flew into Cedar Rapids on Wednesday the 19th and met Jay and Molly for lunch, then drove up to Cedar Falls in time to pick up Violet from school for me!  A friend had taken her to school for me and left the booster car seat in the school office so it was easy for Rachel to bring her home.  Violet helped her with directions on the way home, Rachel wasn't sure where to go.  When she brought Violet home, I took Kelsey home (a family friend who helps clean our house!), and we took advantage of a very windy day and flew Violet's parrot kite in the grassy field by the Orchard Hill Church parking lot 2 blocks away.  It was a perfect day for kite flying too.  It sprinkled a bit, and we saw some random big stringy pieces of corn plants floating in the air and landing near us, that was really weird.  Rachel was "dressed down" in jeans and a t-shirt, and Violet made some comment that she didn't look like Aunt Rachel because she wasn't dressed up. haha!  I grilled BBQ chicken for dinner with rice and broccoli - and Rachel helped me get the kids to bed.  Eli was happy to be held by Aunt Rachel too!

Thursday and Friday were no-school days for Violet since those two days were for parent/teacher conferences.  Mine was scheduled for Thurs at 1:20 pm and Rachel was on kid-duty while I went for that.  Thursday morning was a yummy buttermilk pancake morning.  Rachel went to look at some properties, and came home in time for me to go to Violet's conference.  I worked on sewing a rip in Violet's favorite skirt.  Rachel made a run to Hy-Vee and came home with some corn on the cob, and beef tenderloins for dinner.  Dave came home Thursday afternoon and we all had a yummy dinner that Rachel cooked entirely on the grill.  Best steaks I've had in a long time!

She took off for IA City Thursday night.  Pics from the visit:

 Violet trying to braid Rachel's hair.  All 4 kids are in this pic!
 Vanessa and Violet loved playing with Rachel's fancy clippy-cloppy shoes:
 BIG smile from Eli!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this it is really fun to see and it makes my visit with RR "last" a little longer.
    DADDY JON

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww what an excellent report on my trip! You certainly hit all of the highlights. I love visiting so much and my nieces and nephews are an absolute joy to be around. My trip was a whirlwind but absolutely worth it. Please pray with me that I can return home soon!!!!!! No more of this long distance stuff.

    ReplyDelete