Wednesday, August 05, 2015

School at HOME!

God did it.  He changed my heart.  He's leading me by faith and has created in me an excitement to do this!
Feels like I've stepped off a cliff, but I'm gaining footing.  I've talked to a lot of other moms/dads and families who do this thing called "homeschooling" and I've realized the enormous support there is and how surprisingly common this is around here.  

The thing that made me realize it was the right thing to do was not enrolling the kids in Waterloo Christian gave me the biggest sense of relief.  I'm not saying this is my forever school decision.  It is for this year, and if we like it, we'll continue.  No more painful early grumpy mornings, frantic lunch packing, fundraising, and dealing with school-kid-friend-drama, and the circus that we used to call the school year will come to a pace that we control.  Sure, I'll get less "me" time.  I can say honestly that I do worry I'll get overwhelmed.  But Dave is so sweet and sensitive to this, and understands I'll need to exit the scene when necessary and hang up my "mom hat" for the time I need it.

We told the kids a few weeks ago and Calvin jumped in my arms and was the most excited.  Violet's initial reaction was that she might miss her friends and wanted to go back for "specials" which would be music and gym, but that isn't the plan right now.  Vanessa didn't seem to really grasp it but she mentioned she wanted to go to Violet and Calvin's school.  I guess I'm a little sad she isn't going to get the Miss Smits K experience but that's OK.  She doesn't even know what she's missing.  And I think she might gain the most benefit from the get-go with school at home because she seems the be the most affected by peers.  She's extremely social and can make friends with anybody so I just wonder if people might distract her from "going to school".  Calvin is my home-body and is the most excited.

So Google became my best friend - and I began researching and reaching out.  I joined a facebook group of Cedar Valley homeschoolers.  I asked others about curriculum and "how-does-this-teaching-multiple-kids-thing-work" and stumbled across a suggestion for a publisher called Heart of Dakota.  Christ centered, every daily lesson in all areas of study planned out for me and explained in detail "what mom does", and really amazing books.  The curriculum is based on the Charlotte Mason method "doing fewer things better" and can be summed up in this I found on her way of thinking: 

"Living Books: Probably the best known of Mason's methods is her use of living books for every subject possible instead of dry, factual textbooks or books that are 'written down' to children. Rather than books written by committee, as most textbooks are, living books are usually written by one person with a passion for the topic and a broad command of the language as well as the ability to write in an engaging, literary style while communicating great ideas rather than mere facts. The size of the book is not as important as the content and style- it should be alive and engaging." (this quote found on Wikipedia)

The curriculum is literature-based and tells stories of history, rather than dry facts.  I am praying this will be a blessing to our family and we can learn on our own schedule and hopefully add in some really fun "extras" on the way.  I like how the history lessons wrap in Bible history so it is all one subject, not Bible here and history over there, since the Bible is a historial book as well, I like how they're combined.

I got a tip from another mom that her absolute favorite thing about doing school at home with kids is that she can "seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness..." WITH THE FAMILY and the rest is added as God will use the chosen school materials in a way that the kids need to learn through the rest of the day.  

Eli will still go to OHCP for 2.5 hrs twice a week, and the days he is at home, he'll share working on the Little Hands to Heaven guidebook with Vanessa, whatever he is able to pick up, but I wanted something they could do together.  I got 3 extra books for Vanessa to go through that help her progress in handwriting, math, and reading.

If you want to look at their books, their website describes them.
Violet - Preparing Hearts for His Glory
Calvin - Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory
Vanessa (and Eli) - Little Hands to Heaven with kindergarten extension books pulled from Little Hearts for His Glory

So here we go! I'd love prayers for how to work out my daily schedule.  Working out kinks can be frustrating but we'll figure it out.







4 comments:

  1. I am excited for you too!
    Love
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes Dad and I support you in this endeavor and pray our constant enemy will be held at bay with prayers. Deal with unknowns, frustrations, and resistance with prayer for there will certainly be many little bumps but with prayer especially together as a family for the grace and patience to rule each day/hour there will be much blessing. However where God leads there we must go and we are never alone or without His provisions when in His will.
    Thank you for the excellent report and information.
    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across your blog and noticed that the age for Eli is two not three!
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I am behind on keeping those tickers updated!

    ReplyDelete