Saturday, August 29, 2015

First day of homeschool work 2015

This scene looks all too perfect.  There have been great moments, like when Calvin can not wait to snuggle up with me and have me read to him for his history storytime.  And when Vanessa sounded out letters and read words like "cot, cat, rat, mom, dad, am, and sam" and learns how to appropriately write her letters a, g, d, starting with the top, not the bottom.  Vanessa had a devotional book I read to her which explain a verse that started with the letter "A" - "A soft answer turns away wrath", and went through a scenario where a child was angry and a soft word calmed the situation.  She now reminds me to say soft words if she notices me getting upset, haha.  Its so funny and annoying at the same time.

Calvin built a lego boat today (Saturday morning! on his own) to illustrate how the spanish explorers would have had a better experience on the sea.

There have been stressful moments - like when three kids say "mom! what's next!" or "I need help!" all at once.

But so far, we've gone through 4 days of schoolwork in a week.  Calvin's math is too easy so I'm ordering him the next book up.  Violet likes all her stuff!  Her history focus is an overview of creation to now, the "big" events and will build a timeline through the year that covers spans of what happens in each 1000 year period.
Calvin's history focus is early american history, 1500-1900.  I'm reading him a biography about William Henry Harrison which he looks forward to every day.  He puts his blue blanket on the chair in the piano room and says "this is our reading spot!"  He's studying a poem called "The Storm" which correlates the idea that storms happened on the sea when the pioneers were exploring new lands.  His verse is Psalm 4:8 which reminds us that the explorers trusted God to keep them safe.

They've gotten to do some science experiments and learn how blubber keeps whales warm way deep in the water by spreading shortening on one finger and putting it under cold water, and the covered finger felt warmer.  Lots of "ews" and "whoaaa that works".

Kids each have a Bible devotion or Bible study worked into their daily work, and the lessons all tie together.

And much more.  Violet's work takes 5 or so hours to get through, Calvin's takes approximately 3 hrs, and Vanessa's takes about 45 minutes.  I'm working on what works.  It may take me a few weeks to settle.  But so far the kids seem to love what they're doing and overall enjoy "being at home".




3 comments:

  1. I am very interested in your report on home schooling. Please keep blogging and keeping me up to your work in this. It sound like it establishes a work and a play time nicely
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.
    May God bless this work!
    Kids at regular school don't get as much help. At least that was my experience.
    Seems like teachers weren't available to answer questions and the one time a teacher said "if you have any questions please be sure to ask" so I was happy to know at least in this class I could finally get some answers so I would often raise my hand and ask questions...only to be sent to the "counselor's office" about a week later to have my hearing tested!! I felt so betrayed.
    Anyway...nice to know you're there for them.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll write more about it for sure as we go on. :)

    ReplyDelete