Thursday, September 11, 2014

Violet's 3rd grade teacher's short feedback

I had an opportunity to greet Violet's 3rd grade teacher today.  I hadn't seen her yet because Dave usually takes the kids to school and when I take them there, I drop them off and don't come in the  building.
I walked up to where the kids were standing after school to be picked up by parents and my van was out of sight.  I greeted Calvin first, then saw Violet come out of the building.  Miss Rosenberg walked out with the rest of the 3rd graders and said to me, "You're Violet's mom, right?" I said yes.  She said, "Violet is doing excellent.  She's one of my finest.  She is eager to learn and makes me a better teacher."
This comes from a teacher who is careful and few with her words.

It was so refreshing to hear this.  I won't go into detail but this week and some of the decisions she's made at home regarding respect for her parents and telling the truth haven't been the best.


2 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful post and it makes me proud of your teacher, and you and Dave as well. Violet has an opportunity to grow up around such good teachers.
    Including her aunt, grand, and great mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About behavior at home.
    Ask Violet why she didn't want to tell the truth.
    Maybe she needs a better framework to do what she's supposed to do so she can handle it better rather than covering up for being irresponsible...maybe she feels overwhelmed by expectations and needs more time...review her duties and see how it can be put into a context she feels she can handle and give her a bit more personal space...if she's always on task with keeping an eye on the others she might not have time for herself and doesn't express that as an adult might.
    I don't know...just approach it so that she is contributing to the solution and raise the expectations on the younger ones so they're more responsible for themselves.
    It's hard to be the "big sister" all the time.
    Anyway...those are some thoughts.
    Get a better understanding so it's not just "command and march"..she's maturing!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete