Saturday, April 06, 2013

Calvin learned how to ride his bike with no training wheels today

I didn't really plan on this activity happening.  Today was a typical Saturday - wake up, breakfast, hang out, play around, decide what errands to run, get some house stuff at Menards, buy milk for coffee nook, try relax, etc.

Violet and Calvin were enjoying the high temp of 60 today walking to and from the van going various places and Violet begged to go on a bike ride later in the day.  I didn't get a chance to take her until after supper.  Calvin really wanted to go too.  Dave stayed back with Vanessa and Eli.  Ok, so an idea popped into my head.  Maybe Calvin can learn to ride his bike today!

I noticed how low Calvin's bike seat looked so Dave raised it a bit higher - and raised Violet's at the same time.
I packed a backpack with some tools to take along with me so we could utilize the parking lot north of OHCP - thinking I'd try encourage Calvin to rid himself of his training wheels.  I mentioned the idea to Calvin before taking off, and Violet was totally on board - getting out the elbow and knee pads and getting him outfitted.

Calvin's attitude immediately changed.  He seemed nervous and started to get a little grumpy.  He told me he was scared and that if he tried riding with no training wheels I HAD to hold on so he wouldn't fall.  I promised him I would.

So we rode right to the parking lot north of OHCP and I took the training wheels off.  We left around 5:30 pm.  The moment we arrived in the parking lot, it started down-pouring rain.  I wondered how the kids would react, and was surprised when I saw delight on their faces.  Calvin thought it was magic.  And he said, "So THAT'S how rain starts!" He seemed to enjoy the "on-coming" of the rain.  Then as quick as it started, it stopped.  I think we got rained on for literally 60 seconds.  Violet then exclaimed, "JESUS ANSWERED MY PRAYER!! As soon as it started raining, I said 'Dear Jesus, please help it stop raining so Calvin can learn to ride his bike.' and then it STOPPED! This is the best day ever because Jesus answered my prayer!" Calvin was amazed.  He said to her later on in the evening "Violet, can you please ask Jesus to make it rain again?  I like the rain."  So she prayed for the rain to come again, and maybe 10 minutes later, a light mist came down from the sky.  Pretty cool. 

So when we started out, it took some convincing for him to get up on his bike and let me hold on while he pedaled.  Calvin is a very sensitive child who can get easily discouraged and cry out of frustration easily.  I wasn't so sure how it would work out but I think I have a pretty good approach with him and learning.  Baby steps that are achievable.  I know he gains confidence quickly if he realizes what he can do.  I took it pretty easy and told him I'd just push him for a little bit and he would steer.  He was OK with that.  So I held onto the back of his seat and the handle bars and pushed him while he pedaled.  He seemed annoyed that I was holding the handle bars because he wanted to steer, so I just held onto the back of his seat.  He seemed better with that.  His pedaling went faster and I could tell he was "getting the feel for it" by compensating for his tipping side to side.  We kept up with that movement for many passes across the length of the parking lot.  He wanted help getting going, I held onto his seat, he pedaled and steered, and I helped him stop.  We practiced stopping a lot.  He needed to learn to put his feet down on each side of the bike to balance because in the past, his training wheels did that for him.  He kept wanting to take breaks.  And he would cry if the bike tipped too far from one side to the other and scared him.  I never let him fall though.  My back was starting to really hurt holding onto his low seat and running so fast along with him.  So we took a break and sat down for awhile.  Then we took a few more passes.  I could tell he was doing really well so as I ran next to him I let go for a few seconds and Violet noticed.  When he stopped, Violet belted out, "Calvin!  Mom LET GO and you were riding alone!" and he got a big excited expression on his face.  He asked me to show him how I was hanging on and I showed him how I curled my fingers under his bike seat and then took my hand off for a few seconds and put them back on.  This seemed to give him more confidence to keep trying, so we took a few more passes, and I kept letting go for longer, always helping him start and stop. 

Meanwhile, Violet was just riding her bike around trying to entertain herself.  She was being ignored and I think she knew it.  She had started to feel cold and sat down on the curb and curled up.  So I got her involved with doing some moves to help him learn how to start and stop on his own.  I told her to walk with her feet to get some momentum with her bike moving forward then switch her feet quickly to her pedals to start moving faster.  She did it and he seemed to think it was easy enough.  He wanted to try that on his own, so I let him, and after his first unsuccessful try, he immediately he started crying.  He got frustrated that the bike handles seemed to tip to the side quickly when he would switch his feet from tip toeing along the ground to gain speed and switching to the pedals.  We took another break.  I gave him a hug and told him he was doing great.  He seemed pretty bummed.  I then broke out the bribery ~ and told him that if he learned to start on his own, ride across the parking lot, and stop on his own, I'd give him a prize.  I was thinking fast and wanted to provide some motivation he would REALLY be excited about.  I said he could choose his own candy bar, gum and pop.  I know, I know...sugar sugar sugar.  But Calvin's love language is chocolate. :)  So his eyes lit up pretty brightly and he wanted to try again. 

So I explained that to start up, he needed more power in the pedals and get his feet to his pedals quicker.  He decided to try again.  He gained momentum, got his feet up on the pedals, pushed harder, and kept on riding.  I ran along side him.  His first success gave him a big boost of confidence, and once he was starting on his own, he did it by himself every time.

So the next challenge was helping him stop.  I told him to remember when he slowed down, to put his feet down on each side of his bike to help him balance because the training wheels weren't there to hold his bike up.  He seemed to get this right away.  I could tell he was getting excited. He said, "do I get my prize yet?" and I said "If you move your bike to the end of the parking lot, start on your own, ride your bike to the end, and then stop all by yourself, then YES, we'll go get your prize."  He was all over that.  He went for it, and with absolutely no issues, started up, went to the end, and stopped.  Violet was happy to see him do well.  He was happy, and rode his bike back to me.  It was super weird for me to see him take off on his own with out running next to him. 

Dave called to see how things were going, so I told him he should drive down to the parking lot with Vanessa and Eli so he could see.  Calvin was really excited to show daddy.  Dave came with the camera a few minutes later (we only live 4 blocks away) in the van.  Calvin performed expertly, and was beaming when Dave watched him.

So Dave taught Violet to ride her bike and I got Calvin going.  What a super fun parent/child bonding moment!  I loved every minute seeing him make progress and watching him take his first ride off away from me all by himself.  Calvin wanted a ride home in the van, so Violet and I took off on our bikes with the hopes of beating the van home.  We pulled into the driveway as Dave pulled in, but we still went in first.  She loves races!

We drove to the gas station nearby and Calvin picked out some strawberry gum, a hershey's chocolate bar, and a Sprite.  I got Violet a "big sister" prize for being a tolerant witness and good helper ~ she got a blowpop.

Calvin is so sweet.  He immediately offered pieces of gum to everyone in the car, gave Violet sips of his Sprite, and when we got home, he broke up his chocolate bar and gave everybody pieces.  Loved seeing him share on his own too.






Calvin's quote before going to sleep tonight:

"I had the BEST day up on two wheels."

Violet said, "Mom, you got some exercise today huh!?"  Yes, my legs and back are aching!


4 comments:

  1. Dear Maria,
    An excellent account of what it takes to work with a child / person that doesn't want to risk being out of control...keep the safety net close and make sure success is attainable in small steps so they can gain control and confidence until the whole can be realized. You are an excellent teacher.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Maria,
    I have another commnent, a similar event in my childhood having to do with rain. I was in the third grade and always had to walk to school and it was raining or I should say pouring. I prayed that the rain would stop so I could walk to school. It stopped before I got out the front door...about 25 minutes later I arrived at school and went in the building and it started raining again. Coincidence? I totally attributed this to God answering my prayer to this day...I have no doubt.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is so lovely, so beautiful, I think I am going to tear up! I loved how Violet prayed and Calvin got to see here faith in action. So cute that he asked her to pray again later and it shows Calvin's budding faith too. Next time the rain starts and stops I am going to wonder if some child out there is testing God and God is showing himself to them in a very real way to honor their faith. I can see in my life how God is taking what looks to be an impossible scenario and proves that all is possible with Him.
    I didn't realize Dave taught Violet to ride a bike and so it was cool that you got to teach Calvin.
    I get such a tickle reading Calvin say , so thats how rain gets started!
    Awesome family moment. Thanks for sharing . I feel like I was there too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to the story.
    Thanks for writing!
    DAD

    ReplyDelete