Saturday, July 13, 2013

Violet apologized to me

So, a few days ago, I was helping Violet learn a new piano song.  She learns very quickly if she is "in the right mood" and not distracted.  This was NOT one of those times.  She was huffy, impatient, frustrated, and acting incredibly grumpy.  During these times I just walk away and tell her when she is ready I will help her, but I won't help her when she is acting like that. 

I think 30 minutes may have gone by as she sat alone at the piano trying to adjust her attitude and at the same time, plunking away at some notes.

I kept checking in with her to see if she was ready.  At one point she said I can come back.  So I did, and we sat down and made some real progress on a song that she had earlier deemed, "TOO HARD" but we made it through the whole thing with no mistakes, and she decided it was super easy, and played it well through a few times.  Her attitude had changed and she was teachable. 

I can SO relate.  I don't think there has ever been a time in my life when I felt I could so easily relate to Violet.  But piano is connecting it for me.  I remember times when I was younger being forced to sit at the piano and practice through frustrated tears.  And when I learned my song, I thought it was easy.  The memories are clear as glass.  Now I'm glad for having gone through that, not only because it taught me that to sit down and focus and pursue something and persevere, but I can relate to my child in such a similar way.  I am not really forcing her to practice piano though.  She wanted to take piano lessons and really lights up and enjoys playing music when she learns songs.  Getting there is the struggle.  Such is life, sweetie.

Later that day, she came up to me on her own, and whispered in my ear, "Mom, I am sorry for being grumpy earlier when you were trying to teach me piano."

I was so impressed.

I told her I forgave her and thanked her for thinking about that and coming to say she was sorry.

This is big for Violet.  I didn't even tell her when she was grumpy that she needed to change or that it was a problem she was acting that way, it wasn't necessary.  She knew. 
I just kept myself at a distance until she was ready.

So this speaks to me that she is mindful of her behavior and knew it was a problem, and wanted to apologize to me to restore our relationship. 

2 comments:

  1. Great Post Thanks for sharing that!
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can we prevent the world from taking us down?
    By having a strong faith and a tender conscience.
    The Spirit is working in Violet to keep this precious indicator of right and wrong sensitive...otherwise, our deceitful nature is to be self-willed, defensive, and uncaring rather than teachable, tender-hearted, and considerate of others. God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete